Are you one of the many homeowners dealing with roof leaks due to ice damming? With another bout of lake effect snow bearing down on Northeast Ohio, accompanied by temperatures well below freezing, the conditions may be just right for those nasty leaks to reappear. Ice related leaks normally occur due to a combination of the following:
- Heat loss, due to inadequate insulation levels
- Inadequate or obstructed attic ventilation
- Architectural deficiencies
- Lack of waterproofing membrane (ice guard) under the shingles
Increasing insulation R-Values, adding or clearing attic vents, installing ice guard or roof heat cables are all great options to help prevent leaks from happening. These proactive measures can dramatically decrease the likelihood of unwanted leaks during the winter. But what do you do when time does not allow for these proactive approaches?
- DO NOT GET ON YOUR ROOF WITHOUT TAKING THE PROPER SAFETY MEASURERS